It’s amazing how much a logo can say about a company. Their entire personality, tone, voice, and message of the brand is represented by one, singular image. A good designer will be able to make sure that the personality and voice of the logo matches that of the brand.
The makings of a good logo is not an easy task and it is not something that takes a day to create. Before undertaking the task of creating a logo, it is important to gather your thoughts and that of the client, to ensure clarity, function and purpose of the project. Making sure that all your eggs are lined up prior to starting a logo design project is essential to a successful design.
If I may be completely honest, designing logos was never my strong point. The thought of creating a singular image that represents the entirety of a brand, felt a little overwhelming to me. As a result, I usually avoided creating logos whenever possible. To overcome this, I developed a set of questionnaires to help aid in the vision and goal of the project. Breaking apart each component of the clients needs and that of the brand, helped me focus and hone into what they want to say and how they wanted to represent their brand. Properly vetting the project, took away my anxiety and helped present a clean and clear image.
I’ve complied a list of questions to ask clients prior to designing a logo. I hope you find this list interesting, helpful and alleviates any anxiety you may have about designing a log. Additionally, many of these questions can be applied to other forms of design, so feel free to incorporate them into your other design questionnaires.
General Business Information
- Business Name
- Describe your current business, product or service
- Could you specify your main business goals and objectives?
- Now describe your company & product/service in one sentence.
- Who will be the main decision maker(s) on this project?
- Who are your main competitors and what differentiates/sets you apart from them? Why should customers choose you over them?
- Why do you want a new logo?
- What is your deadline for completing the logo?
- What Budget range are you prepared to spend on this project
- Please write the name exactly as you would like it to appear in your logo.
- Do you have a tagline? If so, What is it, and do you want it incorporated in the logo?
- Do you have any specific imagery or icons that you want to include, or that you want to make sure not to include?
- Please provide some adjectives that describe what you hope to communicate with your logo (e.g. strong, exciting, warm, welcoming, inventive, humorous, etc.).
- Do you have any color preferences, or any existing colors you’d like to use?
- Do you have any colors that you do not wish to use?
- What is the overall message you want to convey to your target audience?
- Where will you logo mainly be used? (Print, Web, Other)
- Do you like any existing logos, and if so, why? (Please provide link to logos)
- Who is your target audience/typical customer? Include demographics such as: age, gender, education level, income, careers, etc.
- Where will your logo primarily be used?
- Are there any images or concepts you DO NOT want to see?
- Do you have any particular point of emphasis you want to see in the design?
- Do you have any preconceived ideas about the design of your logo?
- Do you have any ideas for the style of text (font) in your logo?
- Would you like any additional design services to be packaged with your new logo? Example: business cards, envelops, letterheads, etc.
What questions do you ask your clients prior to starting a project? Feel free to add to the above questions.